Tips on extended boat trips
10 point plan for an extended boat trip
- Be realistic. Assess carefully which destinations are within your cruising capability
- Chart your route and research it using any available guides/ references. Make sure you have the appropriate navigation charts.
- Check for any documentation required for you and your crew or your boat eg visas, cards, proof of insurance etc. Advise your insurer of your plans.
- Quantify fuel and provisions required and availability enroute together with stop off berths where you can re-supply.
- Brush up your navigation skills and check equipment. Maybe take a refresher course to hone your skills.
- Ensure that your vessel is mechanically and electronically sound and capable of making the trip.
- Check all safety equipment, including first aid, spareparts and equipment and that you have adequate water and fuel supplies. Provide for emergency back-up.
- Ensure you have an engine spare key – and keep it separately and securely.
- If single handed, please inform your insurer as there may be restrictions.
- Monitor weather forecasts well in advance and be prepared to change plans if bad weather threatens.