10 things to remember when taking your boat out of water
Here are some simple tips to help put your boat into hibernation so that re-commissioning in spring will be a much more straightforward task.
- Give the bottom a thorough power-wash and also washdown the topsides and deck.
- Also give the interior a thorough wash down with a disinfectant solution to prevent any build up of mould and mildew whilst laid up.
- Winterize your engine. Top off your fuel tank to prevent build up of condensation. Drain and flush the cooling system before replenishing with anti-freeze mix. Change the oil and the oil filter.
- Winterize plumbing by either draining it completely or refilling with antifreeze added. Water and holding tanks should be flushed with anti-bacterial solution and drained.
- Disconnect and remove the battery - or alternatively set up a battery charger to maintain it through any long period of inactivity.
- Check the hull for any damaged paintwork or cracks - repair and reseal with a good wax coat.
- Provide your boat with a properly fitting cover to protect it from rain, snow and frost.
- Ensure that, although protected, there is always good airflow to prevent build up of damp and mildew.
- Keep the sea cocks and drains open to prevent build up of any water from rain or leaks.
- Grease all parts that require it to protect from corrosion.